Currently, I think I may be losing my job due to budget cuts, so I might be looking at more time to blog. Today in ASL class we had our first quiz. The teacher that continues to surprise me passed out a paper quiz. It was two pages front and back (long for a quiz). The first section was fingerspelling. For those of you that don't know what I mean, here is a good example.
The second part of the quiz, I think was a cope out. Teacher signed a word and we had to write the English word down. Luckily the teacher picked lots of common words and nouns, but ASL has a lot of signs that can be made in different ways and with different meanings in context. But I'm pretty sure I aced it.
Here is the part I think was wrong. Part 3 the teacher signed a sentence and we had to write the meaning in English. This to me is not testing anything. It's testing my receptive skills but to what end? Say I understand the sentence but don't think there is a word that specifically works in English for it. That happens a lot. Also this ASL class is not an interpreter class. It's to learn the language. I should not be graded on my ability to convert the languages back and forth, but in my ability to understand and to produce the new language. I am sure that not everyone agrees with me but it really frustrated me. In all my other ASL classes for quizzes we have been given a prompt, asked to converse in ASL with a partner following that prompt and then graded on not only our understanding, but our production too.
In other news, I think tomorrow I'm going to ride my bike. If that happens, I'll be sure to blog about it! Hahah maybe since I have been writing my rants about ASL class, I'll sign about my bike ride. Still taking suggestions on how to add captions about the video.
-RachZ
No comments:
Post a Comment