I have learned a lot in the past year about ASL, Deaf Culture, and visual communication. I started taking an ASL class at the local community college this past week. Coming from the only Deaf university to a ASL classroom at a local community college was kind of a shock in itself. First off, my teacher is hearing. She is not Deaf. That's like a huge red flag in my mind. Hearing person teaching hearing students about the Deaf's language system. Seems wrong.
But after the initial distaste, I think I like the teacher. She has shown a respect for my variations and signs and I trust her knowledge of the structure of the language. I will keep you all posted about how the class is going for the next 7 weeks or whatever.
Where are you taking your class this summer?
ReplyDeleteHoward Community. It's full of some interesting people.
ReplyDelete